Business tax advice

In your business a lot of international transactions take place and you would like to know how this affects the turnover tax (BTW). You are starting up a business and need tax advice on the available Dutch business structures. Your company based in another country does business in The Netherlands and you want to make sure whether it is liable to any Dutch taxation. You want to employ people from abroad and would like to confirm that they qualify for the 30% ruling. This is where our business tax advice can help you.

In the immensely complex international tax legislation often more questions come up than you care to recount. Whether you have a brief question or an extensive fiscal problem, our experts will provide you with an answer. Best results are obtained if you contact us for tax advice as early as possible when the situation still can be optimized.

For international companies not only Dutch tax law is relevant, but also tax laws in other nations and international tax treaties. This causes complicated situations, but at the same time opens up opportunities for international tax advice and tax planning. In order to avoid double taxation for example it is important that participation exemption applies to the income earned from the foreign subsidiaries.

Do you have a dispute with the Tax Office and do you need professional assistance? J.C. Suurmond & zn. Tax consultants does not hesitate to take over your case and defend your interests by appeal to the Tax Office and if necessary up to the High Court.

Example situations of business tax advice

You are planning to move to the Netherlands from the UK. Your plan is to commence an advisory business with international clients and keep working for your current UK employer in addition. You are looking for some tax/legal advice in relation to your situation.

It is certainly possible to immigrate to NL, commence a business and work for a UK employer in addition. It may be easier to rule out double taxation by invoicing your UK employer from your business and consequently cease to be taxable in the UK. The UK employer may also prefer this rather than having to start running an NL payroll. If you have not lived in NL before you should consider the 30% ruling; it is however important to follow the procedure in the right order.

You and your husband both run a company in France. Your husband issues only one or two invoices a month and you on average 15 per month to customers in the EU. You both have considerable savings. You are considering relocating to the Netherlands. You are looking for a tax consultant who could help you in choosing the best legal structures for your respective companies (also considering your savings), who could help you set them up in the Netherlands, and who could run your daily accounting too.

We would be happy to give you tax advice regarding your possible relocation to NL. Some initial questions would be: where do you live in France and have you lived in NL before? Would you both have EU nationality? If you have worldwide assets setting up a B.V. in The Netherlands could be a good step. since this might qualify you for the 30% ruling

You are new to the Netherlands but have an online business established in the US. You want to know if it is possible to move your company to the Netherlands and what will be the best type of company to register.

It would be interesting to see if the 30% ruling is possible. In that case, it is important if, when, and how long you may have already lived in the Netherlands. Another important question is whether you have already registered with the municipality. We would also need to know whether your US company is a separate entity that can pay out dividends. In that case, are you currently receiving a salary from the company? What level of revenue would the company generate? If we have your answers we are happy to give you specific business tax advice.


As an expat and business owner, my income taxes can get pretty complicated. But thanks to the folks at J.C. Suurmond & zn., I don’t have to worry about getting things wrong or forgetting obscure tax rules. It’s great to feel like I have someone on my side dealing with the Dutch tax authorities. They’ve handled my taxes for years, and I hope they will for years to come. Thanks 🙏🏼”

– Brian Pagán-


“Work in the US, through secondment by a Dutch research institute. Sander was able to advise me on avoiding double taxation and other tricky questions, and help with filing taxes in NL during the last two tax seasons. Professional and prompt responses, can certainly recommend!”

– Roelof Smit –


“They are very helpful and responsive in the times of need. Good and clear communication of right information.”

– Mishanthini Sivasamy –

View our knowledge base

Who are Suurmond Tax Consultants

Since 1986 expat and business tax advice in relation to the Netherlands is one of our areas if expertise we provide to our individual and/ or business clients.

In addition, we can also assist in a variety of other cross-border situations. We will ensure you are compliant as well and that you pay no more tax than needed. Examples include advising clients as to starting a business in The Netherlands, accounting, property tax, and amnesty ruling. We file all types of  tax returns and specialise for example in the 30% ruling and 183-days rule consequences. The value we can add with our fiscal advice, is a key focus point to us. Also, what should not be overlooked, is the fact that a correct tax return will prevent future issues and penalties. This is essential when moving to a new country, or when setting up a business in a new country. 

suurmond belastingadviseurs internationaal belastingadvies inkeerregeling belastingaangifte emigreren


J.C. Suurmond & zn. Tax Consultants
Zwarte Zee 100
3144 DE Maassluis
T: +31 (0)10-3033701


General information

CoC register: 27224918
VAT: NL 8016.36.668.B.01
Tax consultant number: 330826